[FWDLK] The Big Day

Hi gang -

I got down to the body shop early this morning to check the final sprayout.
This time they matched the 58 Plymouth Sunflower Yellow exactly.  Don't let
your body shop tell you that they can 'get something close' to the correct
color.  The shop manager played with the color by adding a drop of this or
removing a drop of that until it matched the color in the 58 Plymouth chip
booklet exactly.

The body was already in the spray booth, all taped up to prevent overspray
onto the frame, etc.  I gave the OK on the color, then went off to work a
half day at my job.  When I got back to the shop in the afternoon, the roof
and sporttone color sweep had already been painted Iceberg White.  Those
areas were taped off and he was about half done with the first coat of
yellow.  WOW !  I just stared at the car as he continued to paint.  Oh, I
should mention that the spray booth has large glass windows on two sides so
that I can look in and see a floor-to-ceiling view of the work being done.
I shot two rolls of film right thru the glass (without flash) using high
speed film.  I left before he started the second base coat. It's neat to
watch the base coat go from a shiny gloss to a satiny finish as it dries.
As I type this, he is probably applying the clear coat.

I've been working on this car for fifteen years. It's great to finally see
it painted !  :-)

Ron