Re: [FWDLK] WHEEL-CAPS??

We're talking evolution here...time rearing it's ugly head. Wayne is
correct, a hub cap is the grease hub cover. But that was back on artillery
wheels, hell, it was on wagons if you go back far enough.
Over time, term change to suit the needs. When "Hub Cap" was first used, no
one could conceve of a full wheel cover. Now it's a generic term, like
"Coke" for any brand soda.

We've lost many terms this way. GT, used to mean "Grand Touring" (in
english), now it's used on econo-box crappy cars to help sales. "Pheaton"
was a 4 door convertible, usually with a rear windscreen, now you're going
to see it used on a 4 door model coming out. There's many more....

One of the hardest problems I had in a dealership was matching the tech
manual part name with the parts manual parts name...quite often different.

Our language changes...moveing right along...try to keep up.
--
Ray Jones, Jones Ridge, in the Ouachita Mtns near Mena, Western Arkansas