Re: [FWDLK] dual m/c on 58 DeSoto

There are arguments each way on WHETHER to convert to a dual system, or at
least the argument that since single systems in good condition served very
well, it isn't necessary to change them. You'll need to make that decision,
personally I convert all mine, except the max wedge car since the original
style brake lines are a unique part of the original max wedge package.  IF
you decide to convert, you do not need any special combination valve,
special T, or proportioning valve if you are keeping all drums all around,
the whole thing can be done with a '67 C body master cylinder, a few
adaptors, fittings, and some line.  I used to post a couple of paragraphs on
the '62-'65 mailing list and the Early Barracuda mailing list on the easy
way to do this conversion, but the latest issue of Mopar Action magazine has
the whole story on this swap from (as Richard Erhenberg put it) at least '57
up to '66, complete with sizes and part numbers for the various fittings and
such, how to install your old-style hydraulic brake light switch into the
original junction block if you don't feel like mounting a '62-up style
mechanical switch and bracket under the dash, etc etc, and copious pictures.
 Again, this is not a disc brake swap, just changing from a single to a
dual system for safety's sake.  I agree with using stainless lines also, and
of course new hoses, whether you are changing or not to the dual system.
The conversion will not result in any compatibility or performance problems.
 The big problem when converting with bellows or oval canister power brake
boosters is simply that the master cylinder lids with the large raised bumps
up top interfere, so you need the master cylinder with the flat lid.  The
'67 C body cylinder I bought to convert my '65 Imperial did have the flat
lid.  I'll be checking the swap out again when my newly acquired '56 Windsor
project arrives, to see if it will fit. One caveat I would have is that the
cheapo double-flare kits are pretty inconsistent and troublesome if you
decide to make your own lines whether stainless or regular steel.  After
wasting time and line and getting pretty frustrated with a Craftsman kit, I
eventually went for a complete double flare kit from the SnapOn truck, it
really works.  The big difference seems to be that the SnapOn split block is
made of steel, while the other was aluminum.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible (Kathi's
car); '65 Barracuda \6 (Kathi's other car); '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB
340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360 (David's car); '72 Cuda '340