Re: [FWDLK] Radial vs Bias

I managed a tire store for a while, and was a tire/auto mechanic for several years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when radial tires started taking off.

At the time, we were told that older cars should run on bias ply tires, as the radial construction caused problems with handling on cars not designed for it.

As for my personal experience, my 1959 Dodge had radials that looked wrong and handled poorly.  A switch to WW bias ply solved both problems.  In contrast, my small cars (1952 MG TD, and 1973 and 1978 MGBs) ride great on radials.  I don't know if weight is an issue or not.

Bob
1959 Dodge