Re: [FWDLK] 55 Desoto Power Steering

HI,
I don't have a book in front of me to check but can't the pressure regulator spring in the later pumps just be modified to lower the pressure for the earlier steering boxes. ???  JOE

I have been looking into this alternator w/power steering conversion as well. The maximum pressure the steering system on the 55-56 Plymouth/Dodge is rated for is 750 to 800 psi and 2 Gal/min @ 3000 rpm. The pumps from the 60s and 70s (at least the Saginaw versions) put out 1000 to 1200 psi at around the same rpm. This could be a problem, leading to blown seals and very touchy steering. There are a number of routes around this problem that I have found, but I haven't tried any of them to give an opinion from experience. Possible solutions: