[FWDLK] Gettin yer rear end-gear

--What Dave H. said.... I forget which service I used (Bob's
Sppedometer??) but when I installed H.'s 3.55:1 rear end, THAT, and the
'smaller-than-correct' 225/75R14 tires, plus the

"factory" built-in  odo error combined to produce a FIFTEEN%  too-fast
odo error, as  'recorded'
via readings on straight-road mileposts.

IIRC, my shop said that "our" trannies required THE SAME "device" as is
used in the C-word cars--installation is "simplicity" itself, but I
forget, precisely,  how the thingee is inserted into/in-line to the
trannie.

Anyway, Horrie's odo is NOW scarily accurate!!

BUT, & I give Dave Homstad due-credit for this:
he told me (but  I didn't believe him, then) that
changing the speedo/odo ratio "would"  probably adversely affect the
indicated MPH
readings---don't ask ME how/why, but he was
(for once--LOL) correct; my indicated- MPH
is now 5 - 10 mph too-slow, @ around  55 - 75 mph. This is a minor
concern, in relation to getting dead-nuts-accurate odometer recording
(there's mebbe 1% odo error, now!)

One REAL "downside" to having an accurate
odometer is that your "miles-per-gallon"  will
"DECREASE" (assuming your speedo/odo, typically, "lies" to you, on the
'optimistic'  side).

Again, all you have to do is tell "the shop" what percentage-change you
want to realize, & they'll
fabricate the "ratio-adapter-thingee"  for you!
It's as easy as 'that'.

Neil Vedder