Re: [FWDLK] Local Parish Ordinances Against Antique Cars On Ones Propert

Re: [FWDLK] Local Parish Ordinances Against Antique Cars On Ones Property

I live in a small town in upstate NY,the locals all know each other(I've lived in this town for 18 years,I've owned my house for 6,I'm still an outsider).Most "zoning regulations"are overlooked for them,alot of these people have real junk on there lawns,sides of their houses,back yards ect.I moved my '87 Shelby GLHS out of my garage when I got my Fury plus I had a parts car for my daily driver next to my garage behind bushes,it was hardly visible from the road.I came home to a letter one day stating I was in violation of the zoning laws for this township running an illegal junkyard.In a nut shell ANY car that is not registered,insured,able to pass state inspection,run and drive is junk according to the law.My Shelby was nicer looking than most of the cars on the road around here but was not registered at the time(it needed some mechanical work I had not gotten to).I called the zoning officer,asked what the deal was,found out even though NY state allows 2 unregistered cars,this town only allows one,and it can't fall in the "junk"catagory.I explained that the GLHS was a collector car,one of 1000 made,ect.,he said that it could stay,but the other one had to go.I junked my parts car,moved the Shelby out of site behind the house and didn't get harassed again until I had an addition on my house done,now a different guy showed up for the construction inspection,sees the Shelby (it had bogus plates on it)and started giving the owner of the construction company a hard time over the car (I wasn't here at the time).I have one neighbor,he's really cool,owns a garage,Harley's,ect. He could have cared less about what goes on here,I know he wouldn't complain.These town officials just look for things to bust balls about,from what I've read in the local paper they have a "task force"driving around looking for violations(even though some of the locals have several violations that are never fixed),you can't win.I since have sold the Shelby and have my fiance's son's 58 Plymouth Silver Special behind the house,I can't wait for it all to start again!

Adam Lindenbaum