Re: [FWDLK] [FDWLK] putting on the primer

Re: [FWDLK] [FDWLK] putting on the primer

Kyle,

I too stripped my car to bare metal, and as soon as I was done, covered the
whole thing in Epoxy primer. It's an excellent builder for small
imperfections, protects the metal against future rust AND enables you to put
body filler directly on top of the primer (Bondo and other plastic fillers
have a high water concentrate and will eventually help initiate rust. The
Epoxy primer acts as a protective barrier between the metal and the
filler.). During the bodywork stage, Additional coats of epoxy are sprayed
to help keep any moisture out in area's that have been sanded to thin. Once
the body work is complete, a primer called 2K is sprayed on. This stuff is
expensive, but is also a good builder and can be wet-sanded to a mirror like
finish, giving your paint a beautiful canvas to be sprayed on. The end
results are a mirror like finish, and with proper prep work and sanding, an
extremely smooth surface.

Both primers are available through PPG, and although they cost a bit more
than standard primer, there are no water solvents in either and both add an
additional amount of protection to bare and treated metal.

Just my $0.02 worth... just so happens I am in the stage shortly after your
stripping questions, so it is fresh in my mind... LOL!

Have fun and have a FIN-tastic weekend!

Clay Wood
http://www.mocarz.com