[FWDLK] Wiring vs. insulation quality vs. fire hazard

[FWDLK] Wiring vs. insulation quality vs. fire hazard

Ever do some of that patchup wiring and run down to the hardware  store or
discount auto store and get a roll of that nice plastic covered no name no
labeling wire in any one of a dozen colors, and guage?  Me too.
But no more!
I rewired the entire front end of my 56 wagon with Rhode island wiring kits.
Beautiful in appearance and fit.  And in some odds N ends underdash decided I
needed another wire from A to B and used that fine plastic coated stuff.
Think it was in that aftermarket Sanyo radio installation.
Well
I did not recheck where I connected it to and turned on the ignition and wife
said "Do I smell something burning"  Of course I said NO but an instant later
I saw black smoke from under dash!!!!! Well off goes the ignition and somehow
I managed to keep the entire car from going up.  Naturally it was the plastic
coated stuff, it burned with a flame and scorched some of the RI wiring very
close by. BUT the RI stuff did not catch fire.  If it was that no name no
label plastic it would have.
Reason?
The cotton fabric covering on the RI wiring is fire retardant material, a far
cry from that plastic that is combustible.
After that I ordered several rolls in various colors and guages from RI
wiring, eliminating that problem.
As usual, cheap is almost never cheap.
Hopefully other LOOK folks can learn from my potentially expensive experience.
Just FYI.
L.

PS- I am sure we must have an EE or Electrician in the group that can tell us
what wire stamped designation DOES have a fire resistant rating in the
plastic wire.  And of course it will have to have the UL designation besides,
just like your appliance cords.