Re: [FWDLK] humor on the Fwdlk

John:  Although this is not a "humor list" there is humor in what we do and why we do it!  We love these old finned Mopars and anyone in their right mind would go for the Ford and Chevys that you can find everywhere, and have piles of parts for.  You have to have a sense of humor, and certainly a sense of irony, that the best looking, best designed, best engineered cars of the time were Mopars, but they are the ones that survived the least, and even the indestructible Y-body Imperials are used to demolish all the AMC, GM and Ford adversaries in the demo-derbies, but we can't find the parts reproduced so we can bring these beautiful examples of American design and "art" back to their earlier glory.

The humor is everywhere in this hobby and reflected in the knowledgeable nod of the head and the wink of the eye with a twinkle from the old man and the little kid that acknowledge that we may be the "fools" that the Chevy and Ford guys say by loving our ForwardLook Mopars, with all the work it takes to find those elusive, and expensive parts, but we know that we are better for the search, and that our cars are the ones that draw the crowds at the car shows after all the time, cost and effort.  And that is where the humor comes back again, since we know that it is all worthwhile.

I chuckle every time it happens, and a chuckle provided once in a while on this list just helps to sustain me through those long cold winter nights until I can get back to working on my "works of art".  Besides, the reference to a "stud" on a winter tire is a reference to a long-ago winter rite that is now prohibited in all but the coldest, snowiest reaches of the country.

John, my vote is to keep doing what you always have - bringing a light and informative side to the list.  I even look forward to your weather reports and include weather comments occasionally in my signature line.

On the good side of the news, I was just told that my '59 Coronet transmission (Powerflite) is finally OK and ready to come home.  I almost feel like a new papa as it has been at the transmission shop since Nov 2003 (16 months).  After changing out the pushbuttons that had gone bad on the Coronet, they found the original transmission had "hard-part" issues, and asked if I could supply another transmission because they were not sure about finding hard-parts for a rebuild.  I gave them with a Powerflite from a '58 Coronet, and that threw them as it was a change from a liquid-cooled to an air-cooled transmission.  They finally rebuilt it and then ran into the adjustment problem, which took months to solve.  We both I knew it was a problem of making minor adjustments, but it took a lot of time of trial-and-error as they had to continue their high-volume transmission repairs on the cars that people needed for everyday drivers.  Finally they said it was done.  Cost was acceptable, but the car accrued a dent and a piece of chrome (rear window, upper right corner) was stolen, and they are going to have to either find and fix or drop the cost to accommodate the damage.  So it is done, but not quite ready to come home.  After this time, a few more days don't really matter.  I do have a sense of humor.

Sorry for the long post.

Larry, in a cold, long winter night in Akron, Ohio
57 Coronet
58 Coronet
59 Coronet
And a bunch more Mopars from later generations