Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 1956 Plaza 277 v8 removal

Great, now where cookin.
I'm a little new to the internet acronyms.
I checked this morning and the serial # is on the left front face and is P29 188000.
The casting # is 1618729 and is on the right front face.
The manual states the 277 has 170 HP.
It also states the serial # for the 180 and 200 HP engines (P29) are located on the left
front face.

That's the discrepency, do I have a 277 with 170, 180, or 200 HP. And, what are the corresponding engine sizes (CU. IN.), or are they just modified for more HP or, is it not correctly stated (for a Plymouth) in the service manual.
Also, on ebay there are some pics of 56 ply parts, one pic shows the engine pretty well.
Seller states it's a 260, but it also has the solid intake. There are, however, some other differences.

My car was produced in LA if that has anything to do with it.

Do you know of anyone with the answers?
Thanks for the feedback. Matt

Jan & Roger van Hoy <vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IMHO= in my humble opinion... or in this case information maybe horribly off.

You've described a 277 all right.  The info I have, from Don Butler's DeSoto-Plymouth Story and MoToRS Manual, says 270 was the "standard" V8 in Plaza and Savoy and that the 277 was "standard" V8 in the Belvedere and optional in other models.

Your Allpar explanation sounds plausible.  I've wondered if the 270 was a leftover '55 Dodge engine as the spec's are almost identical.

IIRC [if I recall correctly] the serial # on the 270 would be near the valley pan and the 277 left front face of block.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '42 DeSoto, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge