Re: [FWDLK] '58 Plymouth oil draining problem

Re: [FWDLK] '58 Plymouth oil draining problem

Nick,

There are a variety of internal engine cleaners on the auto parts stores
shelves. Some ideas:

1. Rislone. Put in a quart in a warm engine and let idle for 10 minutes.
Drain oil and refill.
2. ATF. Some people claim a quart of ATF cleans. Same process as Rislone.
3. Pennzoil motor oil. This stuff has so much paraffin wax in it that breaks
down into sludge, they put a ton of cleaners in to keep the sludge in
suspension until drained. Don't run it over 1000 miles or the cleaners get
used up. If it gets black sooner, change it.

If a passage is totally plugged, no amount of cleaners will help if they
can't pass through.

Fresh sludge can be soft and sticky. Old sludge can be hard and carbonized.
I suspect the cleaners work well on fresh sludge but not the hard stuff,
which may take much longer to break down, if at all.

Once sludge starts to come loose, it may come loose in large chunks. This
could be a problem if a chunk blocks a passage or a lot of chunks block the
oil pump pick up screen. It would be wise to pull the oil pan and clean it
out.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500