Re: [FWDLK] Positive ground -= battery charging

Re: [FWDLK] Positive ground -= battery charging

Also good advise!
I'm a retired Master Auto Tech, and I had never in 40 years seen a battery explode, or had anyone tell me they had. 1 Day, after weakly cranking my L'il Red express for several minutes, I opened the hood and wiggled the cables to get better contact. In a hurry, and not thinking. The heavy load on the Battery had created Hydrogen gas which was laying on top of the Battery. At some point, a spark was struck, and so was I. the Battery exploded in my face, knocking my glasses off, cutting my face with case shards, and generally making a mess. It took me a minute to figure out what the Hell happened. Fortunately, I was outside my Dr.'s office, and they rushed out and got me to the washroom to get the acid off my face.

Always avoid making sparks around charging or as in my case, discharging Batteries. Charging or Jumping, hook the positive lead to the positive terminal first, always! Then hook the negative to a ground on the engine, a bolt head, bracket or suchlike. Except on early Positive Ground cars, do the opposite. Always hook the ground last, and NOT at the Battery, unless you're charging the Battery on the bench. In that case, make sure the Charger is at least off, or better, unplugged, as Bill says.

Ray J