From: "Tom Stroup" <tstroup@xxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Positive ground -= battery charging

The safest and best way to charge the car's battery is to
remove it from the vehicle, take it somewhere warm and dry,
clean the battery terminals, and connect an appropriate charger
to the battery. The connection will always be the positive
battery terminal to the positive lead from the battery charger,
and the negative to the negative. The charger will run the
current through the battery "backwards" and this will be converted
to chemical energy stored in the battery until you need it.

Most of the time, we charge the battery without removing it from
the vehicle.

The vehicle controls the charging rate when the vehicle is in
operation by coils of fine wire, or by arrays of diodes. If you
connect a charger and run a large current, or voltage, through
your vehicle's system, damage could result. So, you should
always disconnect at least one of the battery cables from the
battery when you wish to charge the system. This will stop flow
of current to the car's system. re-connect after you are done
with the charging session. I usually unhook at least the ground
terminal when charging.

Use a charger with a six volt setting for vehicle's six volt batteries,
and twelve for twelve. Mix them up and you will overload the battery
or the charger. Lots of heat is usually the first result.

Keep in mind, batteries are dangerous, and can shock, burn, or explode.
It is no fun to explode a container that holds a strong acid.
Wear safety glasses and be careful.

Tom S                                         southern Ohio
                                              55 and 57 Coronets