[FWDLK] Battery/Starter polarity explanations

[FWDLK] Battery/Starter polarity explanations

I've heard this many times about how the Starter would run backward if connected backward, although I've never heard that the engine would run backward.  The DC starter motor would run backward only if it were a permanent magnet motor.  Some examples would be the small 1.5v motors in toys and small components, and some older wiper motors.  But the Starter motor is powered not by permanent magnets, but by Electromagnets in the field coils as well as the armature.  So if the polarity were reversed, it would be reversed in both the armature and the field, so it would still turn in the same direction.

The engine only turns backward in China and other backward countries.

Sorry about THAT! (in memory of Don Adams)

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe