Re: [FWDLK] 489 or 741 case

Hello All,
There are other differences between the 489 and the 741 (and 742).  The biggest difference is that the pinion shaft is tapered, and adjusted by means of a crush sleeve, whereas the 741 and 724 are straight shafts and use shims for the adjustment of pinion depth.  Both of these pumpkin (or center) sections were produced from the mid 60's to the mid 70's, and were mainly found under muscle cars.  SO, they would not apply to your 58 at all, but are very commonly used as a retrofit.  Some people on this list have done it and could tell you what you need.
The 489 case is considered more durable, and able to handle torque better than the 741 and 2.  489 were generally found under cars that came with a big block engine, but not necessarily a high-output engine.  The suregrip version of the 489 are very desirable, and, very expensive at this point.
The 741 and 2 are very stout rearends as well, and can handle a lot of power.  Generally they can be found for less than the 489.  Both are common enough though that aftermarket vendors will carry a wide variety of parts for them.
I really think the ultimate swap though is for the rear out of a 74 Imperial, as they were big block cars, and- they had rear disc brakes.

Have Fun,
Charles.