From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bill K.
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:27 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: Body Conversions

On the 57-59 cars, the frame is different.   To make up for the lack of
support the main rail is a heavier boxed structure.  Thats why when you're
rebuilding a convertible with a bad frame, a hardtop parts car is necessary.

The roof is different, also.  It has different side channels to allow the
hardtop upper window channel to mount to it.

You could do this conversion if you had a rotted hardtop to take the parts
from, but plan on reinforcing the frame, then removing the doors, cutting
off the top at the base of the A-post and removing the entire C-post and
package tray, as well as the upper quarters (about 3" is enough) below the
quarter window.  Replace all with hardtop parts.  Swap out the doors, or
rebuild them if the hardtop doors are bad on the bottom.

I had all the parts to do this two months ago, but I scrapped most of the
car since then.

It has happned, although not terribly common.  On the tri-5 Chevy (dare I
mention those here?) the frames are the same, and I know of at least one '57
Pontiac hardtop that lost all the parts I mentioned above to a Chevy
conversion.   So when I picked up a rotty '55 cheap, I saved it for the same
reason.

Bill K.