[FWDLK] Car Scam - Non Mopar

Sorry for this out of content message, but after the recent discussions on scamming, I thought someone might have some advice. A friend found a low mileage 1969 Camaro with the cross rams for sale in England with a $10,700 price. They started a dialogue and the guy provided an old NY title agreed to the sale. My friend was to send money for shipment and the car would be inspected after arrival in the US, after which full payment would be sent. My friend has a friend who is going to London, so he arranged a Western Union money transfer that his friend would pick up and after seeing the car would give to the seller.

This is where I came in, too late. By the time I raised the scam alert, someone had picked up the money from Western Union. Since the friend who was supposed to receive the money hadn't reached London yet, obviously the scammer faked an id and picked it up. Western Union said too bad, they're not a bank.

Does anyone know if there is any recourse for my friend? I advised him to inform the authorities, but I'm sure that will lead nowhere. I can't believe Western Union can just pass out his money and that is that.

Thanks,

Bill Huff