From: David Homstad <dhomstad@CHARTER.NET>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 02:58:32 -0600
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Garage floor carpet

Actually, in my experience, water does not sweat "out" of the concrete. In colder climates, like here in Minnesota, the concrete gets very cold during the winter. In the spring, the air warms up and carries a lot of humidity. The water vapor in the warm air then condenses onto the cold concrete surface. The concrete can even "radiate" the cold to the bottom of a car, causing the humidity to condense on the car too. A few years ago, I opened the garage door on a very warm and humid early spring day. After an hour, it looked like in rained on the floor in my garage. The best solution is to place a fan so the air circulates under the car to keep it warmer and to help the concrete warm up faster.
 <![endif]>
Carpet would probably insulate the concrete floor and prevent fast condensation. But it will also slow the concrete warming process and extend the length of the dampness time.
 <![endif]>
Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500
Minnesota