[FWDLK] Carpet Problems

Hi Ron,

I have no idea what the opening is in your carpet - sounds strange, a defect
maybe? It is normal that the carpet sections are wider than the original -
it does have to be trimmed to fit. As far as heel pad, yes, it is not quite
as the original, it's a generic pad.  Only Legendary carpets have the right
heel pad, as far as I know.

Installation instructions?  Get out the razor blade / carpet knife and go.
Start with the rear piece. Center it well. Trim it out as required. Make
damn sure you press down hard in the footwell areas / sill areas before
doing the final trimming.  Then repeat with front carpet.  Not only do you
need to center it well, you also need to deal with the forward edge of it
being as far forward as possible, and trimmed out as required, before
worrying about the rest.

Most important "trick" is to press down hard in the footwell areas and make
sure carpet conforms to floor pan, before making final cuts at left and
right sides. If not, the first time someone puts their feet down, the carpet
will be pulled out from under the sill plates / kick plates.   I use a
rubber mallet and beat the crap out of the the carpet where it needs to
"bend" more.  I also leave a couple extra inches at the side edges, and only
make the final cut after I am SURE it's right.

As with everything else, take your time. Always work from the center, out.

Just installed an ACC made carpet in my '61 Newport. Had no problems. Just
took a few hours.

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY