Re: [FWDLK] REAR AXLES---REBUILD EXPERIENCE

Re: [FWDLK] REAR AXLES---REBUILD EXPERIENCE

Ed,

I’m not sure about other years, but my 56 Dodge, and probably all other Mopars with inner and outer axle shaft grease seals, has a small plug at each end of the axle tube. You are supposed to remove these plugs and add wheel bearing grease for the outer bearings, every 2 years or 20,000 miles. See your Shop Manual in the Lubrication section. These outer bearings are not supposed to get any lube from the gear oil and a slow leak is not going to be adequate.

Now for those cars which have not had this done for 40 or 50 years, a leaky inner seal might be a good thing. A little gear oil is better than NO oil.

These bearings were designed to be lubed by grease, not by a much thinner gear oil. Gear oil may reduce their life expectancy.

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500