Re: [FWDLK] engine oils

I have historically been a Valvoline user as it has never in any way failed in one of my engines.  In recent years I've become acquainted with a local car club member who worked for Mobil on the Mobil 1 project.  He was the go-between for Mobil to the race car teams of all manufacturers as the product was brought to the modern perfection it enjoys today.  OF COURSE he has Mobil 1 in everything he owns from lawn mowers to flathead Fords to 428 race motor in a hot rod.  And he uses 5W 30 in everything.  His claim is that synthetics will not leak any more than conventional oils.
There is no question, I hope, that multi-vis is the only way to go today.  By far the most wear that occurs in an engine is immediately upon cold start-up.  That 5W end of the spectrum gets the oil moving and splashing very rapidly and has huge benefits in minimizing wear.
All that said, I've been using Royal Purple synthetic in all my vehicles engines and when changed also in the automatic transmissions and differentials.  Yes, it is about a dollar more per quart than Mobil 1 but I've had a couple face-to face discussions with RP tech guys at some car events and done extensive reading and I'm very convinced that their claims are totally well grounded.  And over-the-road truckers bear out the idea that fuel mileage increases and engine wear significantly decreases with use of total synthetics.
I personally feel that synthetic engine oil, though costing more initially, returns its cost in fuel savings and in minimizing engine wear.  With the cost of an early Chrysler 331 hemi full gasket set at $350 alone, and a proper rebuild of that engine starting at 10 times that, I'm going to do everything I can to make my engines go as far as they can.

Wayne