Re: [FWDLK] Stuck in the 50's

Boy did that bring back some memories. In high school I had a 1955 Packard Clipper with the 4 way torsion bar suspension, 352 cu.inch V-8 and the Twin Ultramatic automatic transmission. The torque converter seal would leak big time and I, being young and smart (ass) figured I could fix this myself. I finally got to where I could come home on Friday afternoon, put the car on 12" blocks, drop the transmission, replace the seal, button it up and be on my way out in two hours. In those days I used to be able to take it up and down with just a floor jack, actually pressing the tranny into place. For some reason the seal would only last about 3 days, it was about a year later when I finally asked a real mechanic that I found out there was a torque converter bushing associated with the seal. Oh well, I helped keep the local parts house in business.

That was a really great car, it was powerful, comfortable (could carry a real crowd in there) and had self leveling suspension. You could put two 200 pounders on the hood or trunk and about 4 seconds later the car would level itself and the torsion bars were adjusted electrically.

Bill Huff

Loved it when I got a 50 Oldsmobile with a stick shift. I could pull and replace that transmission in less then an hour, including jack it up time. However those transmissions(basically the same internally as the Cad/LaSalle box) seldom broke. I could get at least 6 months out of one of them(sometimes).