Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] car lifespans

Re: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] car lifespans

Several thoughts on the many posts on this subject, in no particular order.
Neil Vedder Wrote:
Adam laments the rustable body cavities

Undercoat was a big villain, and probably designed that way. Undercoat would harden and then crack, allowing water (salty usually) to just be trapped between it and the floor. As a MD State inspector in the 70's & 80's, I found that almost all cars with it were rusted thru and those without had little rust. This was in Maryland where they Salt the roads when Snow is forecast. the trucks were out waiting before the first flake came down.

CHRY thought that their customer base was a function of the DEALERS'
getting "out" and FINDING their own customers.

I always worked for Foreign Dealers. And they knew the "secret". Sell the Buyer on the Maintenance, and they are always coming back to the Dealer for Service. While there, they look at the new offerings. Makes for a captive client. Domestic dealers thought the Service Dept. was a stepchild and didn't support it. So American cars were bought, driven out and never came back until it was on the hook. VW started it and the Japanese made it into a science.

5) As part of Planned Obsolescence, a customer HAD to have a reason to
buy another car; i.e., the old one fell-apart, OR had been rendered
physically 'obsolete'...

As to the Junk Yard finds, If the car has out of state tags, then it probably croaked on the Hi-way, during a trip. If it was 4-5 years old, it was easier to abandon it than to have it fixed and have to get home and come back for the car. Easier to buy another one at home. I've found them with luggage in the trunks. I looked for them when picking parts, as it gave my a nice way to carry all the little parts I found necessary to take home.

In the mid-late 60's, the "finned cars" were OLD news....

So, IF a car is "supposed" to be replaced with another unit, after 5-7 years,, and, if your customer base is unlimited, why worry about how-well the "new"-unit is
built, anyway???

As the people moved to Suburbia, the car became more necessary. Then TV and Mag. Ads came into play, creating the "Keeping up with the Jones' " need for buying every 3 years or so. I had a Second Cousin who bought a new Caddy every year. Had a standing order, never saw the car until it showed up in the driveway. The Salesman called and talked to the Mrs., came by and took her 2 yr. old Caddy and left the new one. My cousin would take the new one in the morning and leave her with the old one 'til next year. This went on for many years, at who knows what cost.

On the other hand, my '90 Plymouth Voyager (the only new car we ever bought) gave me 285,000 miles and 17 years great service. It's still going strong with it's new owner.

Ray