From: Tom Stroup
Sent: Tue 2/13/2007 3:48 PM
To: Ray Jones; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] car lifespans

OK.

I worked at one of the largest Dodge dealerships in northern Ohio
back in the sixties.  I worked in the service department for almost three years.

We did everything we could to take care of the customer. Chrysler had their
5 and 50 warranty and people expected a car to be trouble-free for that period.
At least the drive train was to be without worries. I worked my way to the service
write-up and warranty area. I warranted every thing I could for the customer.
Free pick up and delivery. Free towing. Discounts on parts.  My reward ? The
owner's daughter married a bean counter who milked our dealership to open
a new dealership in SC and one in Texas, then closed us down.

There wasn't any foreign car to worry about.  Triumphs and MGs, Cricket, and
whatever. Simca ?  Toyota was no where, and I remember the first Hondas having
a recall to fix all those rusted out fenders.

People who could afford new cars brought them in for major service, and quite a few
brought them in for the oil and filter, brakes, and tune-ups that were our bread and butter.
Of course, the dealerships charged more for these services than the corner gas station
full of untrained kids waiting to learn on the customer's car.  I also was one of those,
kids waiting to get my hands on a car needing work.  It was less costly to have oil & filter
and tires and brakes done down at the corner gas station. So some people did that.

Chrysler products always had cheap interiors and very strong mechanicals.  Once they
escaped from the stodgy designs, they went nuts the other way, with RoadRunners and
SuperBees and cartoon characters, racing workshops, and factory racers.  Lightweight
and fast. We wanted those !  I remember mopar having performance since 1955.
Before that, it was square and slow.

Remember, every year they made the new cars faster and better and we wanted those !
The older cars were getting used up and times were good.  We sought out the newer stuff.
Then, all of a sudden, insurance and prices went up and performance was dead.
I loved the Toyotas I bought in the seventies, then eighties.

Now we look back with longing for the good old days.

It is amazing that performance cars are now being made.  Hurray!

Tom S
southern Ohio  1955 Dodge Coronet
                        1957 Coronet (project for sale)
                         (3) Barracudas