Re: [FWDLK] Old Gas for starting fires

In a message dated 3/3/2007 5:50:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, crc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Good story Ted but I'm not buying it!
I'm with you
    It is a dangers practice though, mainly because of the chance of getting some on you in the process. Gasoline vapor is a lot heavier then air and that is why, by code, electrical  outlets in garages and other enclosed structures, where vehicles are parked, have to be installed 18 inches above the floor, in case of fuel leaks. The chances of  vapors, of a exploitable mix with air, above 18'', is verey unlikely, and in the open area, that height goes down considerably.
    I have started a lot of fires on my ranch using gas. I found out that it is best to stand on the up hill side when doing so. Standing on the down hill side puts one in the path of the vapor's travel. I don't think it has much chance of setting one on fire, but it does do a little singing. Live and learn
     Now for the "Not being the brightest light on the Christmas
 tree"
Guy.... It would be extremely hard for someone to convince me, that he didn't spill some gas on him and that is the reason he went up in flames.
     Like electricity, If you have a good degree of knowledge of the properties of what you are dealing with... most the dangers can be eliminated.

<>Roy<>
Roy Asbjornsen (retired in one piece electrician)
Puyallup, Washington