[FWDLK] Future of Chrysler Group?

Rich sed:

    "The Chrysler Group is getting slammed by auto critics including Consumer Reports for its use of cheap materials especially regarding interior components (dashboards, door inserts, and trim) stealing the unwanted title from GM.  There is also extreme cost cutting in an effort to return more profit per vehicle:  engine and transmission choices are almost non-existent.  One can barely find a manual transmission!  This is just another give-away to the import brands?where most of the ?under 21s? are already?of folks like myself who do not want an automatic.  I guess that I?ll see a new Camry SE sandwiched between by two Dodge Ram trucks?

Forwardlook content:  my ?62 Le Baron is getting a new transmission in a few weeks!

    You are SO RIGHT.

    Color me "bitter", but Detroit has been selling nothing but sh-t sandwiches for over 30 years, and frankly, I'm not buying.

    I got me a Powerflite in the 56 Dodge, but the DeSoto is a custom-fit stick, my Coronets - one is a stick, the other Torqueflite, and outside of the novelty of pushbutton driving, who wants a sludge-o-matic ?  Especially if you are buying NEW ?  Let's see, .... bar-of-soap styling, cramped interiors, no chrome, no fins, plastic bumpers, hubcaps, and just about everything else ....  what is left to actually buy in a car today ?

    I bought a 2004 Civic coupe.  You can actually NOT touch you head to the dash from the front seat.  It handles fantastic in the snow and nails 40 miles to a currently $2.52-a-gallon of gas.  I had to special order it with a 5-speed.  (It is rated some 8 mpg less when equipped with auto).  My jellybean car mechanic friends tell me there is no better car made for trouble free miles that may easily approach 300,000 before they need any real work done.  And even with its Dove Bar styling, it still has *some* sort of design style that looks like it came from one mind / drawing board. OK, so it is an "appliance" type vehicle.  I have my FL cars for REAL fun.  I just don't want an ugly POS that gets worse mileage than my 1950's, 2 ton hunk of real American iron !

    My most recent assignment required I get a truck.  My 58 International 1-ton is great for moving houses and uprighting derailed locomotives, but at 5 mpg and being as conspicuous as a forest fire, something more practical was in order.  The answer ?  A mid 80's Toyota 4x4.  Still a small truck, gets 25 mpg, and can haul a table saw to a mountain top and still not stand out like a sore thumb on the street.  And it has a stick !  I "restored" it for $5000 and can expect many years of trouble free service at an economy that I can live with, not to mention it looks like a truck and not a shoe.

    My friend's son's new Durango gets 10 to 12 mpg and has all the good looks of a football with Down's Syndrome.  As long as Chryselr and everyone else wants to pass of pure sh-t as "exciting cars", they can all go to hell as far as I care.  I'll check out from Hotel Earth about 2040 if I live to be 85.  Between a domestic comsumerism based on Paris Hilton and celphone ringtone options and a foreign policy / outlook based on dealing with radical fundamentalists, I am thinking the America I grew up in won't be anything I'm going to recognize anyway, so who gives a rip if Chrysler is around making sh-t sandwiches and trying to pass them off as cars ?  FL guys discussing the "future" of Mopars is about as relevant to exciting cars as ring tone options are to my dog.

    Sewing machine engines, 12 mpg, and the continuous refinement of the egg as a styling theme are going to drill the US auto industry straight into the ground.  Time for a change of strategic planning. That's what my Sergeant would say.

    Brent