[FWDLK] Fwd: [FWDLK] Snapped Springs

What I heard, from a knowledgeable source,
at Tulsa (Dave Grow) , regarding the springs'
failure was due to their steel's high-carbon
(for strength) content.

Spring steel is reportedly more susceptable
to failure-corrosion, than mild (body) steel.

I don't know the chemical-content/reaction  of Tulsa's groundwater, in
the  context of 50 year's
exposure, but, the thing speaks for itself, that the body-mass, bearing
down on the leaf springs (with the microscopic voids, between the leafs)
in continual contact with water that had leached thru concrete, and
Gunnite, did a "job" , on those leaf springs!!!

Also, no one has yet mentioned the interesting fact, that the
trunk-support-bracings corroded away from the trunk skin!

Bet that nobody's seen THAT, either.

What clearly occurred, was that the water that immersed the car got
"into" the non-painted voids between the bracings  and the under- trunk
, and just sat there, maybe-never evaporating, until the bracings just
collapsed away from the trunk skin.

Neil Vedder