[FWDLK] 1955 Plymouth P/S seal replacement.

[FWDLK] 1955 Plymouth P/S seal replacement.

  As I understand it, the Pitman arm shaft seal can be replaced by draining the system, removing the nut and arm, cleaning the shaft, use and mark a piece of PVC tubing to establish the setting depth, removing the old seal by drilling a couple of small holes in it and threading deck screws into the holes and pulling the old seal out—first noting the depth the old seal was set on the PVC.  Then clean/polish the shaft, cut a piece of shim stock to wrap around the threads and rough/exposed outer section of the arm, lube the shaft and slip the new seal in over the shim stock.  Use the piece of PVC or conduit to seat the new seal to the proper depth.  If the shaft is corroded or damaged in the area of the seal, one can’t expect the seal to do its job.  Cleanup of the bore also makes sense to minimize leaks around the OD of the seal.

There is a special tool for this, but its functions are fairly straightforward and described above.  Sure beats pulling the unit.  The service manual has a section on this procedure—using the special tool.  I bought and installed a pint or so of power steering goo and added it to the P/S reservoir on my ’55 Chrysler (I think they were all the same in 1955) to try and solve leakage from the upper weep hole on the P/S unit on my ’55 Chrysler.  It is a viscosity improver and probably has mouse milk to improve seal action.  It worked, was cheap and no downside.  I had to bail P/S fluid from the reservoir to make room for the whole pint.  You might try that when you refill.  And turn the steering wheel to hard left to purge air from the system after refilling.

Good luck—and thanks for bringing something to the forum other than the sadly ruined cherry ’57 Belvedere.  I remember trying to start a ’57 Fury in subzero weather in Des Moines in 1955.  I think there was ice from the fuel tank to both carbs.  It took overnight in a warm garage and several cans of Heet to clear that, but it was a beautiful car.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 Chrysler 300

1986 Chrysler Le Baron T&C Convertible