[FWDLK] Limp Deck Syndrome

Brad, I've previously written about my experiece, in fighting my 57
Dodge's limp deck
(which is not an unusual problem with 57 Mopes).

Cliff notes version: I scored a set of NOS bars on ebay, & got em nicely
painted.

The rearmost slot is the strongest/tightest  position for the trunk's
torsion bar.

Moving/replacing the torsion bars is a 2-man job.

For tools, I discovered that I could use a 2' long house water-supply
shut-off/turn-on "key", with the jaws being closed-down slightly, using
a bench vise.

The "key" is used to grip-and-move the end of the torsion bar which is
under coniderable tension.

You will also need a large vise-grip, to hold the tension, further back
where the two torsion bars contact each other, in the middle of the
trunk. A large screwderiver can also help, to convince the tight-end of
the T/bar to go into a slot.

For whatever reason, my friend & I worked on horsing the T/bars into the
passenger-side slots, instead of working on the driver's side.

The end-result was that, after finally getting the T/bars into the
tightest slots, the trunk began to work PERFECTLY; it could be partially
raised/lowered, & held any partially-open position, just like it was
designed to do!

I closed the trunk & went to sleep a happy man.

The next day, I revisited the trunk, to admire my handiwork's operation.

After about 8-10 hours of being closed, I discovered that the trunk
AGAIN had reverted to its pre-T/bar-replacement mal-operation!!!!!!

It again opens and holds about 1' from fully closed.

WHY the trunk/T-bars initially worked perfectly, and/or why they
reverted to their  pre-replacement mal-operation , I don't know.

Someone suggested that the orientation, of the
opposite-sides'  T/bar ends might be mis-installed, but I wonder if
all-the-many mal-operating trunks could have this "simple"
reason/fix.

Maybe someone could post a couple pics of their properly-working trunk's
T/bar ends' insertion-orientation, into the hinge-support
adjusting-slots

The trunks are not supposed to WHANG-open
(Lethal Weapon IV) , but that syndrome sure is more convenient than
having the Heartbreak of Limp Deck Syndrome.

Neil Vedder