Re: [FWDLK] Happy Days are here AGAIN!!!!

Re: [FWDLK] Happy Days are here AGAIN!!!!

As part of our Pentastar Celebration, Bill Watson mentions that Lee
Iacocca unified the Corporation, under the Pentastar logo, but, I would
argue, and adduce, the Vol1 No 1 issue of Ward's Quarterly (from Winter,
1965; a large, hardbound "magazine" , of the ilk of "Automobile
Quarterly"); from its Dedication page : " ...Besides history and
inspiration, the Quarterly plans to give the reader an inside view of
the auto industry. Something about its present and forthcoming products
and programs and the determined executives who are more than equal to
the demands of today's competitive world. ..." .

The entire 143 page issue is dedicated to Chrysler Corporation . The
next one was to cover American Motors.

Anyway, with all that preamble, there is an article in it :"Why Chrysler
Changed Its Corporate Entity".

It states, in part: " As with all identity cartouches the Pentastar
will be shown on all Chrysler facilities and equipment, its many and
various products, at trade exhibits, on letterheads and packaging. The
great five-pointed star   will stand for excellence, engineering,
styling, workmanship and th important family of Chrysler dealers.

There is a feeling of permanence about the new symbol--who can deny the
continuity of a star. Already it has risen in 130 countries [from
1964--Neil] and you don't have to know what Chrysler is in Japanese,
Turkish, or Swahili.

When Lynn Townsend went to Lippencott & Marguilies [ ad agency-Neil] he
had three objectives in mind that were simple, practical and
comprehensive. The first one was to build a greater awareness of
Chrysler Corporation in the public's mind. Next, Townsend wanted to
integrate all communications from the rambling mass they were in to a
perspective that would be whole and cohesive. Finally, he wanted a
corporate identity symbol that would help Chrysler's marketing acvheive
its objectives.

Corporate identity systems are not the same for one company as for
another--you can't pick a symbol because you find one you like . Like
people, each corporation has a different set of problems and they must
be investigated and analyzed before solutions are offerred.

.....They [ market research]....began and ended  with the acceptance  of
the Pentastar. Why? Testing had establishedthat for Chrysler's needs and
stature a classic symbol was called for. The Pentastar was vnot only
classic but had the impress of permanance.......All this research cost
Chrysler $750,000.00 ... .

...convince customers that they were buying more than a product--they
were buying  a company that makes a product.

As a result, for the first time since Walter P. Chrysler founded  the
company 40 years ago, Chrysler dealerships look as though they belonged
to the same family, selling a common product: quality built automobiles.

BTW, the artical states that the pentastar, as a symbol, dates at least
to 5,000 year old manuscripts.

Neil Vedder