Re: [FWDLK] FW: [FWDLK] PentaStar

Excuse me, Rich: if the question as to WHY the Pentastar design was
chosen (as opposed to what it stands-for) , the same Ward's Quarterly
reiterates that the logo is recognised into antiquity at least 5,000
years, and that , as a star-representation, it "reflects" permanance,
beauty, and universality (it's not something weird, or non-sensical,
like the current japanese car-logos, for example).

For example, the article states that the Pentastar represented "good
spirits of a superior order", and that the symbol was used " as a
talisman against the drinking of poisons, and invincibility in battle,
and in the defense of the body and soul. In Arabic, the number 5 is
considered to be the most favored number and thought to encompass
wisdom, beauty,  prosperity, health and long life."

"It is doubtful that Chrysler, or L & M    [ Lippencott & Marguiles Ad
agency] , for that matter, --had all this in mind when they selected the
Pentastar as a corporate identity symbol.  But, it would certainly
appear to be exactly the kind of symbol to inspire confidence as well as
remembrance , which is what an identity sign should do."

"...Behind every new corporate identity symbol is the hope that it will
stand for one big happy family, that there will be a feeling of
"oneness" between  the corporation, its divisions, products, officials,
employees, and most of all , the buying public."

So, to recapitulate: Chrysler paid Lippencott & Marguiles $750K, to have
L & M review Chrysler's corporate needs, and to have L & M proffer to
Chrysler a unifying corporate logo (symbol): the Pentastar , which
represented the qualities and attributes as put forth in my earlier, and
in this, message (according to Ward's Quarterly magazine, from 1965).

Neil Vedder