[FWDLK] Vacuum advance

I've discovered what I thought was a fuel starvation problem may be an ignition problem. The vacuum advance on my flathead 6 cylinder Plymouth engine is not working. I did a test from a good running car. I installed a long hose to the good running car and ran it to the problem car's vacuum advance hose and revved the engine on the good car and with the distributor cap off the problem car I noticed there was no movement of the breaker plate. I could also hear a leak from the diaphragm of the vacuum advance of the problem car. I plan to replace the vacuum advance.

Anyway, my question is this: Would a bad vacuum advance cause the engine to die intermittently? The car idles pretty well and actually accelerates fine but every so often the car will die at idle or when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear(three-speed manual trans.). Car will always restart. One other note: Someone had installed the battery wrong. The car is supposed to be positive ground and it was hooked up negative ground. I replaced the points after correcting the battery polarity but not the condenser. The points looked pretty fried after only being in the car for one week. Would incorrect polarity ruin the condenser and or the coil?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.   Nick Nichols