From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nichols
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 9:50 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Vacuum advance

I've discovered what I thought was a fuel starvation problem may be an
ignition problem.   The vacuum advance on my flathead 6 cylinder
Plymouth engine is not working.  I did a test from a good running car.
  I installed a long hose to the good running car and ran it to the problem
car's vacuum advance hose and revved the engine on the good car and with the
distributor cap off the problem car I noticed there was no
movement of the breaker plate.   I could also hear a leak from the
diaphragm of the vacuum advance of the problem car.   I plan to replace
the vacuum advance.

Anyway, my question is this:    Would a bad vacuum advance cause the
engine to die intermittently?  The car idles pretty well and actually
accelerates fine but every so often the car will die at idle or when
shifting from 1st to 2nd gear(three-speed manual trans.).   Car will
always restart.   One other note:   Someone had installed the battery
wrong.    The car is supposed to be positive ground and it was hooked
up negative ground.   I replaced the points after correcting the
battery polarity but not the condenser.   The points looked pretty
fried after only being in the car for one week.  Would incorrect polarity
ruin the condenser and or the coil?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.   Nick Nichols