Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 23:02:44 -0500
From: Bill Amberger <Magnumguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: THIS IS ONE STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL CAR.....

Bill The Magnumguy

Matt: 5:11-12
http://www.mopowerstyle.net
Chapel & Magnum/Cordoba Forums

This car, when its seller was asking $200K
for it, was discussed, in detail, on the FWDLK's website, under its
General Discussion Board.

Cutting to the chase, and despite the puffery on its rarety, it WAS
built as a Super D500 2 4-bbl Coro convertible, but , it was originally
all-white, with an Ivory-and-black interior, as opposed to its being
"cosmetically" restored, with its red/white paint, and red/black
upholstery (in Custom Royal cloth/instalation-motif).

Ron Waters saw the car, in person, and stated that the quality of the
'restoration' was rather crude/careless.

What's it really worth? depends upon the knowledge/interest of the
bidders on it.

Neil Vedder

Bill The Magnumguy

Matt: 5:11-12
http://www.mopowerstyle.net
Chapel & Magnum/Cordoba Forums

..OK, not FWDLK, but a neat original photo; I don't think that they are
300L wheelcovers, but I woulda loved to have had that car, in '65!

I have a 58 Ply with a cast iron Torqueflite in it. The other day I found that the pushbuttons would not work. I couldn't get it into '1" so I could not get the cable ou of the cable adaptor on the trans. So I took the PB operator out and disconected the cable from it. Tried and failed to move the cable. Finally I pulled pretty hard on it and it moved to the "1" position. I could then get the trans end out of the trans cable adaptor. With it disconnected at both ends, the cable moved freely. I reconnected the cable to just the Pb operator and both worked fine. Then I tried reinstalling the cable in the cable adaptor on the trans end while someone held the reverse button in. I could not push the cable all the way in, so I assume that the selector on the valve body is jammed. I think the problem is with the detent ball that engages the selector that the cable moves on the valve body.
I pulled the neutral switch out thinking that might be the problem. No change.
Any one with any ideas?? I can't move the car. So I need help.  Thanks   Jim

Jim Ruckdashel
4241 Singing Post Lane
Roswell, GA 30075
770-992-9746
Jruckdashel@xxxxxxxx

The rockers appeared to have been replaced at some point, but not very well.
The panel alignment was not very good overall. There is overspray on the
frame and other places. OTOH, the quarters appeared to be solid and
original.

IMHO, aside from the installation of a good pair of rockers, bringing the
car to a 'nice, although somewhat incorrect restoration' level would not
take a lot. I would even leave the CRL interior. Another thing: there is an
aftermarket manual choke and manual throttle (?) installed. Dunno why.

It'll be interesting to see what the car brings.

Ron

> This car, when its seller was asking $200K
> for it, was discussed, in detail, on the FWDLK's website, under its
> General Discussion Board.
>
> Cutting to the chase, and despite the puffery on its rarety, it WAS
> built as a Super D500 2 4-bbl Coro convertible, but , it was originally
> all-white, with an Ivory-and-black interior, as opposed to its being
> "cosmetically" restored, with its red/white paint, and red/black
> upholstery (in Custom Royal cloth/instalation-motif).
>
> Ron Waters saw the car, in person, and stated that the quality of the
> 'restoration' was rather crude/careless.
>
> What's it really worth? depends upon the knowledge/interest of the
> bidders on it.
>
> Neil Vedder

Not when Neil gets done with it!

For example, it's got Custom Royal front bumper teeth and dash inserts.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge
Is the car at home? I hope it's not in a parking lot (or worse on the side of 285). It sounds like you're going to have drop the pan and take a look inside. I think you can see the selector when the pan is removed and I know you can remove the valvebody. The pan gasket should be available at NAPA or ORielly Auto. You didn't mention if the trans would go into other gear positions.
Larry Gardinier
770 924 5722

Ahhhh, Ye of little......KNOWLEDGE.

(That's OK, that's why I/we are here!)

I deciphered this car's Paint/Trim plate, over on the FWDLK's website,
when it was discussed, there.

However, in 1958, Grille 'teeth' ("vertical bars", as they were called,
in '58) WERE optionally available on each and every Dodge model (as
opposed to 1957, when they were only installed on Custom Royals & on
Custom Sierra wagons)..

So, 'you' can have a 1958 Custom Royal Super D500 convertible, without
the 'teeth', and/or 'you' could have a 1958 Coronet 6-cylinder 2-dr
sedan, WITH grille teeth.