[FWDLK] "What's New" For 68

I'm with Dave, Place a 56 Dodge D500-1 next to a 68 Road Runner and what are the major differences.... not much. It was not too difficult for a 383 Roadrunner to run in the 14 sec range with the right combo no hemi was needed. I helped a friend tune his fairly vanilla 327 66 Chevelle to the low 15s in the mid 80s, I never thought that car was all that, and remember this is all at 6000 feet. If you are dedicated and test and tune this is not a difficult accomplishment. These cars are not rocket science guys, still don't expect a car meant for the street to go out and turn record times. You have just got to ask yourself what was considered stock. If you take a nice small hemi of any type put all the performance upgrades big cam, valves, compression, manifolding and on and on you are going to have a screener. The 56 NHRA D Gas Coupe record holder for 56 was using a bored 55 270 Dodge hemi in a stock 53 Dodge body and running over 100 mph. What could he possibly be doing to a 270 Hemi to reach such speed in a door slammer, there is a picture of his car showing that it is full bodied, sorry Neil as usual no ET was given. I too owned a 89 5.0 GT Mustang and it had the highway gears as well, it was fast but it didn't pan out well in the quarter mile. Now someone please explain to me what I am missing here on these later car comparisons, point out the vastly superior technologies being utilized in 1968, to me it looks like by going to the wedge they needed 60 more cubic inches to produce about the same HP. I know some of you will go right to the tire thing, that's a no no Dodge was putting very large tires on the D500-1 and I'm told they were making sticky tires in 56 just not at the corner tire store. The mid 50s just happens to be the time when the gap between stock cars and racecars narrowed to a slim margin, in effect a stock car could also be a racecar. I know there is a inherent reluctance to deal with it but a 56 Dodge Race Hemi was a factory product. Tim in Golden