Re: [FWDLK] Whatta Drag (News)....

I don't think that the D500-1 was not so much dis-allowed in Stock class, as much as it was not competitive, with a single 4-bbl carb (IF that really was a criteria, for "stock" class, and with its exhaust manifolds [ditto], in relation to its over-rated HP, versus what it was really producing at the rear wheels, and in relation to its actual weight.

Tim; some of us who know of the laws of Physics, and Chrysler's admittedly OVER-estimating gross HP in the 1950's (I can re-post Sherwood Kahlenberg's message, if anyone would like to read it, again) , are disputing the 1956 Dodge Coronet d500-1's physical ability to propel itself down a 1/4 mile track, from a standing start, using two manual speeds and using its 1956 technology tires and, probably, an open rear end gearset, in even close-to 15 seconds, and/or at a terminal speed of anything close to 100 MPH.

IF a 1956 Dodge accomplished this feat (close-to, or under 15 seconds/90+ MPH) it would be incumbent to produce the specific alterations which were made to the OEM standards, which allowed such a result to occur, and, to cease (NOT you; "other people") referring/implying that the accomplishment was obtained by anything other than a highly-modified unique race car, and not by any particular OEM vehicle (like the cars @ Daytona, which WERE as blue-printed as possible, and , and that saw factory-driver/engineer Danny Eame's car's Standing Mile time get bettered by a non-factory tuned (that's being gracious) 1957 Dodge, by 3 MPH.

The OEM ...........1956 D500-1's Standing Mile Daytona timing would not have placed within the top (at least) 5 finishers, in 1957 .

Daytona records represent as-FAIR-of- results, as possible, for head-to-head OEM......competition, in the 1950's .

Neil Vedder

DupontTim@xxxxxxx wrote:
The problem I have with this whole discussion is precisely the point Roger is making, (a great point and other people continue to back it up), ie: Jack shaves well over a second off a published car test in his 56 Plymouth. I am sure a 56 Plymouth set up for optimal drag results, rear end, tires, shocks, weight etc. you would do even better. RIGHT RON! So then why does this not transfer to other models. Why does a 57 Dodge with a 413 and otherwise mild upgrades, road gears etc. become a low 14 sec car on this list and a 56 Dodge with a Factory Race Hemi prepared for optimal quarter mile times get dismissed as only a slightly better version of a Motor Trend test car. Are we bent on ignoring logic when it come to the Dash One? Face the facts: The Dash One no matter how stock was not allowed in NHRA STOCK classes thus you will find no results and if you had a stock D500-1 it would have to race with modified vehicles. However the AATA had the SUPER STOCK CLASS and Dodge dominated it. At the ATAA WORLD SERIES Dodge placed First, Third, Forth, Fifth, and Seventh against all comers regardless of weight or displacement. I think NHRA wisely acknowledged the need for the SUPER STOCK CLASS and kept it for 57 when they merged with the AATA. As long as you are mulling over possibilities ask yourself if NHRA would have had a SUPER STOCK CLASS in 56... What cars (or more likely WHAT CAR) would be at the top of the list? Come on you guys get your head out of the sand. The Dodge will probably get more input from people who drove or built them as time goes on and our primary concern should not be to shoot down their accounts. Thanks Tim in Golden