Re: [FWDLK] another mention of drag results in Motor Trend

--- Original Message ---
From: Jack Lewis <reatawhippets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] another mention of drag results in Motor Trend

>The normally aspirated 200 power pack 277 56 Belvedere at 18.9
seconds
>seems slow by today's standards, but more than enough to stay up
with 56
>Chevs & Fords.

>Jack Lewis

Throwing a monkey wrench into the works here

I spent a long time searching for the correct WCFB carbs for my
resto project.  The Factory WCFB carbs were SMALL by todays
practices.  The 2x4 carbs on the 392 hemi were only 385 cfm each,
AND Mopar got the larger ones of the bunch that used Carter
carbs.  Dodge Plymouth and Desoto had smaller ones then Chrysler.
 I used that knowlwdge to make my scanning of WCFB's at the swaps
a faster search,  SMALL (an inch or less) venturies in the carb
as the first glance yes/no decision point.
Only after finding a carb with a throat larger then 1 inch did I
examine it closer. (Psst the ONLY ford 2x4 I ever saw had teeny
tiny throats) Couldn't have stuck a skinny thumb down those
carbs. GM NEVER bought the larger sizes of carb parts for their
cars that I have seen so far.
There is a Corvette place/guy in Chi-town that LOVES to find
Chrysler carbs, he uses the parts to build bigger carbs for the
vettes, more performance and still looks 'stock'. And Who cares,
his carbs still sport the 'right' tags.