Re: [FWDLK] another mention of drag results in Motor Trend

Re: [FWDLK] another mention of drag results in Motor Trend

Jack, the answer is simple enough, when you think about why the D500-1 performed so much BETTER, after the 1956 Daytona Speed Week results (which had only a factory engineer, running a super-tuned car, there):

If you remember that documentary film : "Back to the Future", I think that there's a Flux Capacitor involved, here, somewhere (although how the requisite 2.2 gigawatts (iirc) of energy was transferred to the car: I don't know!)

Neil Vedder

Jack Lewis wrote:
The normally aspirated 200 power pack 277 56 Belvedere at 18.9 seconds seems slow by today's standards, but more than enough to stay up with 56 Chevs & Fords. Like discussed earlier, the testers went thru plenty of cars each day and this test is probably typical of anyone jumping into a car the first time and letting it rip. My own '56 Belvedere 2 door hardtop 4bbl 277 normally ran high 17s-low 18s at Half Moon Bay & Cotati dragstrips in NoCal in the early 60's-bone stock except exhaust cutouts, with my normal driver tires. One Saturday, I took the car to Andy's Champion Speedshop in Colma, CA and had it dynotuned. He thought the car had exceptional hp for a stock 277 and recommended I run it at Cotati the next day. I turned my best time ever in it on the trophy run against a '56 Chev in CSX class - 17.32 @ 83.1. Still have that day's worth of time slips.

Jack Lewis