Re: [FWDLK] WHY DIDN'T THEY RUN 1/4 MILE IN 1ST & 2ND.????????

Re: [FWDLK] WHY DIDN'T THEY RUN 1/4 MILE IN 1ST & 2ND.????????

Oh, I understand about the 2nd-3rd gear runs, Ron; but, the article
stated that the 58 Fury's had relativey high ratios in the gearboxes,
which would be conducive to running in first (you're already in gear,
when you 'pop' the brake) with one  second gear shift.

The article stated that 1st was good to 54 & second topped out @ 85, and
that their very-respectible 15.5 ET occurred with an 86 mph trap speed,
and that they hit 80 mph in a very-quick 13.2 seconds.

Using that gearbox, and a 1st:2nd shift, I wonder how a slightly higher
ratio (with a full 2nd-gear run-out ) would perform.

The '58 gearbox had higher gears, than the '56 & '57 boxes, and, were
reportedly heavier-duty than their predecessers (product
development/evolution, and all that stuff ; THAT'S why I'm curious about
the part numbers and specifications for 1958 + gearboxes, compared to
1956 boxes).

IFFF a shift to 3rd produced the 15.5 ET, I'm wondering what a higher
rear end gear would have produced, with a full-out run, in 2nd gear,
instead of a quick-shift into 3rd, at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Lower gearbox ratios (in 56-57) would be compatible with Granny rear
ends, with a second/third  gear run out..

Neil Vedder