Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 1957 FURY, ROCK AND ROLL AND HAPPY DAYS ON E BAY

   This is the contrived schlock that really turns me off about old cars and the drones that make this stuff popular.

   Happy Days ?

   Rock-n-Roll ?

   Just add bobbi-soxin' carhops and poodle skirts and you got yourself a fantasy stew of incohesive elements that *might* have represented .1% of the 50's experience to .1% of the population.  I just love the hot pink and toothpaste splashes to round out that 1980's vision of "the good old days".  Maybe a neon flamingo could be included ?  Oh, ... I forgot.  THEY DID !!!!

   Barf !

   How many really great photos are out there of vintage street scenes with the *right cars* doing what they did in 1957 or 60 ?  I have seen countless photos like this.  Why do commercial artists candy up these trite images of emotional punch when such great images already exist ?  That's right ....  emotional punch.  What better way to pry dollars out of the wallet than play the emotional card of fantasy - 1950's fantasy - and get fuzzy brained dreamers to buy the nothingness of a nonsensical rendering of someone's conglomeration of iconic images ?

  Few things get me excited like vintage photos showing Uncle Ed and Auntie Edna posing in the drive with their new 58 Dodge, or a simple street scene with Grandma Pittipoo returning from an errand sortee in her finned grocery-gitter.  But this cartoon stuff ?

  C'mon folks, ....  you got good enough taste to know a great car when you see one.  Know bad art when you see that too, OK ?

   *sigh*

   B.