From: Fury Jim <JRawa@xxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 7:22 am
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Brake conversion.

the pattern for the 4-bolt master starts in 56 [definitely 56 plym at least] and continues up until 78, in 79 chrysler started using the 2-bolt master [aspen/volare, cordoba/mirada/magnum]

the difference between the lowboy and regular drum-issue masters and a disc-brake master is the residual pressure check valve- a drum master has the valve to retain apply pressure in the system, a disc master does not as a full pressure retraction is necessary to release the caliper, using a drum master with discs prematurely wears the pads and creates excess heat- its not enough pressure to cause a notable drag, but you will see reduced pad life/efficiency.

the sure-working conversion i [and several others] use is the factory disc setup found on the aspen/volare, mirada/cord/magnum, and the 80s rwd fifth ave/diplomats.  the spindels have the same balljoint configuration/taper, the C to C is 1-1/8 shorter, requiring a camber adjustment, the only minor mods to make are a shortening of the strut rod end to adjust lock-to-lock, and a notch in the snubber perch to clear the caliper on full lock turning.

as for master cyl, the clearance is a little tight, but i use the 74-77 D100 master cylinder religiously on my 57-9 cars [and a few newer over the years like my 62 dodge convt]  and- if you're using aaj brakes, you probably already have a GM caliper, so the following tip wont scare you- its obvious the only safe way to run disc frt/drum rear setup is with a proportioning valve.... the GM A-body prop has the perfect bias for the weight distribution on the 57-9 body.  but that info is founded solely on experimentation [i've only done the entire conversion about 17 times, with 7 awaiting in the next year or so as i write]

as for the adapter plate, it will bolt on and allow use of the 2-bolt.  but instead of buying one, you can just redrill the firewall/plate to 2-bolt configuration, make a spacer plate to close the area, and use the 4 existing studs to retain the plate... did that twice too, on a parts-laying-around to fix daily drivers.  the spacer is cast and can crack- pushing the master out of the way=no stopping