Re: [FWDLK] oil

I've heard all the same things.  I figure its better to be safe and have it.   STP Oil treatment has ZDDP in it according to the label on the front (something like "more ZDDP than competitors" although there is nothing published about how much.

Lou

Jan & Roger van Hoy wrote:
Ok, I must confess, I'm back to the drawing board about this flat tappet ZDDP oil problem we all face.

I thought the diesel oil like Delo or Shell Rotella still had ZDDP, but now I read it's been removed from that oil because diesels are getting cat cons.  Also been warned that these oils are very high detergent and might cause an aneurysm in an old engine.

There are a bunch of additives being hawked, that range from $10 for two ounces on up.  Comp Cams has some, GM supposedly has an additive, and others.

There's also Motorhead Oil, but who wants to pay shipping on oil?

Some say the ZDDP is only needed for break-in, others say that it's needed throughout the life of the engine.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge