Re: [FWDLK] oil

>From what I have gathered so far, the ZDDP level of wear protection
is MOST important during new engine break-in BUT that eventually
wears away if the protection levels drop with usage.
IF it is not maintained = FAILURE of metal to metal surfaces that were
designed for the inclusion of the anti-wear charactoristics of the ZDDP
enhanced motor oil products in use at the time of the metalurgy designs
will result!!  And it seems that there is evidence that this is happening to
older cars with older technology parts in them that depended on the
presence of the ZDDP protections.
This Also is probably the problem with the later big block mopars fuel
pump rods that were wearing away in day to day driving the last 5-10
years. They too were originally designed in the days of higher ZDDP
additives in motor earls.

This problem is plaguing the 60's and 70's big block cars that get rebuilt
and in reported cases even those that have never ! been re done.
Low fuel pressure or little to no flow, check that pump rod as well
as the pump!!

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy

-------------- Original message from Lou <email4lou@xxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------

I've heard all the same things.  I figure its better to be safe and have it.   STP Oil treatment has ZDDP in it according to the label on the front (something like "more ZDDP than competitors" although there is nothing published about how much.

Lou

Jan & Roger van Hoy wrote:
Ok, I must confess, I'm back to the drawing board about this flat tappet ZDDP oil problem we all face.

I thought the diesel oil like Delo or Shell Rotella still had ZDDP, but now I read it's been removed from that oil because diesels are getting cat cons.  Also been warned that these oils are very high detergent and might cause an aneurysm in an old engine.

There are a bunch of additives being hawked, that range from $10 for two ounces on up.  Comp Cams has some, GM supposedly has an additive, and others.

There's also Motorhead Oil, but who wants to pay shipping on oil?

Some say the ZDDP is only needed for break-in, others say that it's needed throughout the life of the engine.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge