To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] WHATZIT WORTH?

The only paint-statistic I've seen was a Motor Life article, that said
that dark-ish colors were more popular in 1957, than in 1956, and that
the most popular color was (all) black.

If you look closely at the car, you'll see white overspray on the rear
door's  window weatherstrip-piece.

The car's P/T plate will confirm the OEM paint scheme, but I'm thinking
that the car might have been built in all-white, which might explain the
'easy' painting of the lower, fins, and roof, while keeping the firewall
and middle "saddle" area white.

At least, the car does have the 'flashy' red/black interior trim.

The "rare" category would be the expensive engine (D500) in the bottom
line (Coro) in the decidedly family-oriented 4-dr hardtop persuasion.
There were 13,619  Coro 4dr HT's built, which is 4.735% of the total
287,578 production.

The D500 production was about 6% (not 5%) of the total production.

You don't, but I consider 6% (D500) , or 4.735% (Coro 4-dr HT's, BEFORE
D500-production is factored-in)  of any  production-totals  to be
considered as being "rare", notwithstanding 50-year survival rates on a
fragile automobile platform--the 4-dr hardtop.

How many of the Coro 4-dr HT's were D500, and how many have survived?

You like to argue with me, but I believe that a surviving Coro 4-dr HT
D500, in (possibly) red-over-white scheme is VERY rare, and was
relatively very-rare, when new, too.

As a comparison, the 57 Coros saw 21,132 2-dr sedans (probably MORE of
them were D500's than the 4-dr HT's), 44,397 were 2-dr HT's, and 60, 810
were 4-dr sedans.

The only lower production sub-series were the 6-cylinder 2-dr
sedan-models (7,175) and the convertibles (3,363).

That's a rare surviving automobile; too bad its OEM engine was pulled..

Neil Vedder