Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Miss Belvedere News

burying one car wasn't enough for Tulsa! They buried a Prowler prototype in 1998   http://youtube.com/watch?v=ni1K_wB3bUg
David Wallace
58 Fury

Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 3:13 PM

   I think this "debate" belies the opinions that this car was so far gone and such a "time capsule" by nature of its burial, that it should have just been left as found and kept as a relic.  Supporting such opinion was the opinion that it was utterly beyond any economic sensibility to try and resurrect that car, being that little original material could be saved and that another comparable model that was in far more restorable condition could be had at a much more reasonable effort and cost, if restoration was the absolute goal.

   On the flip side, I think some believe this car should be restored to keep alive a vision that THAT car would come out of the vault as some living, breathing part of 1957 as it seems was originally intended when it was interred.

   Unfortunately, reality and some serious stupidity intervened and the car was reduced to be a pretty metal sculpture with little hope of function, due to deterioration.  It is a darned shame the people that buried the car did not really think all eventualities out.  In fact, I find it ironic how similar the claims made as to the "sealed" vault are to the magical restorative powers of the people offering to restore the car with a rag and some elixir.

   The reality today is that power to change this situation does not rest with any of us Forward Lookers.  Too bad the car was not protected from what seems to me to be the most obvious of problems.  Now that the damage has been done and it is owned by persons believing it should be brought back to life (in spite of restoration realities), there is little that can be done but go back to what we were doing and shake our heads.

   *sigh*