To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 331 hemi timing questions

Hi Chuck;
The easiest and most positive way to check for TDC is to remove the #1 spark plug, and insert a straw in the plug hole. Place a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley nut. Slowly turn the engine over in the proper direction of rotation, Checking the rotor to make sure its moving towards #1, and watch the straw. When it stops moving up and starts moving down you just went past TDC. Back up and slowly rotate until the straw just stops. Now look for your balancer mark and see where it is. Any mark ahead of this location is advanced and any mark behind it is retarded. Look real hard as some paint may have filled in the mark. You will then know if the mark is for TDC, 10°, or if the Balancer outer ring has migrated some.

Let us know, Ray in Mena