[FWDLK] WATER PUMP FOR 1957 DODGE 325 HEMI

[FWDLK] WATER PUMP FOR 1957 DODGE 325 HEMI

Just to be a bit contrarian, I bought a NOS water pump that had been sitting
on a shelf for many years, and soon after installation it had to be rebuilt.

The pump it replaced, a NORS part, was significantly more cheaply made than
the MoPar part.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66
Plymouth, '41 Dodge

   Good point, Roger.

   NOS does not always equate with being "good".  Original chrome was a one-step process over potmetal, shelf wear, rubber parts getting hard, many things happened simply with the passage of time.  An NOS part is probably the best kind of core in which to rebuild, rechrome, etc. .... in fact, I would rechrome any NOS trim I planned to use just to preserve its original profiles under 3-step chroming (copper, nickel, chromium) from pitting, etc.  I would not even consider installing a 50 year old water pump without rebuilding it or you may easily be needing to recore a radiator too !

   B.