Re: [FWDLK] YouTube - Mold Making - Mass Casting Complex Parts (w/ parti

Re: [FWDLK] YouTube - Mold Making - Mass Casting Complex Parts (w/ parting line)

I have molded several parts for my wife's VW Beetle (RIP), but it is a little more complicated than the video shows to make a good molded part.  First you have to have a GOOD model part.  If not, then you have to use body putty or whatever to ifx imperfections, then finish and paint the model to achieve a good surface.  Also, bubbles are a real problem.  I rigged an old pressure cooker to pull a vacuum when casting plastic parts to help pull the air out of the solution.  Even slow mixing can cause air entrainment.  then there is the size issue.  It seems that there is always some shrinkage, so if you try to cast a part that has to mate up to an adjoining part, there may be some size difference.  An oversize part is probably needed to make an exact duplicate to an OEM, the larger the part, the more the shrinkage, I believe.  Still, for free standing parts, this is a good way to make them.

Bill Huff