From: Ray Jones
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] STARTER MOTOR OPERATION QUESTION

Hi Ed;
Anyone know how that DISENGAGEMENT is supposed to happen??   The drive is spiral and spring loaded to return. Basically, the engine starting has more RPM's than the starter and that releases it. In your case, I would guess that the drive is stiff, dirty, or otherwise  unable to return on it's own by the spring. Pull the starter and use your fingers to "unwind" it out to the engaged position. See if it returns on it's own, and if not, then lube it good.
It could be also that the starter is slightly misaligned and the starter teeth are pressing against the flywheel teeth and unable to release.
Ray in Mena, AR